Direct Repair Laboratories (DRL) has been supplying depot level repair expertise for over 20+ years. We specialize in electronic, mechanical and electromechanical repair in a variety of industries, from manufacturing, semiconductors and medical imaging to name a few. DRL prides itself in offering our customers specialized engineering specific refurbishment processes, an alternative to the high cost, long lead time and often poor quality repairs imposed on them by the Original Manufacturers. With an intense focus on customer satisfaction and unparalleled technical engineering expertise, DRL is often viewed as the only alternative to often non-responsive manufacturers’ services.
Since all DRL refurbishment processes are developed at DRL, by DRL, we can quickly reverse engineer sub-assemblies and present an economic solution with urgency. DRL develops refurbishment processes for sub-assemblies that many other companies have failed to accomplish. We often build our trust with a new customer by taking on projects where others have failed or where there is no other solution available. DRL remains strong today because of our success in accomplishing these projects with a 90% success rate. Our reverse engineering skills, First Article processes and diverse repair capabilities allow our customers to consolidate repairs – “one repair solution, one vendor”.
Our unique customer service means never having to speak to a recorder, when you call DRL you get a person who can immediately put you in touch with the correct contact from our Engineers and Technicians to our Logistics and Shipping coordinators. Each of our customers is treated with the respect and urgency they deserve. Our unique customer service processes allow us to offer customized logistic profiles to our customers as regards their repair needs, preferred shipping methods, specialized reporting and invoicing.
DRL strives to continually measure and improve important services and products that our customers value through rewards, employee empowerment and key quality disciplines such as, contract review, production planning and design control. We constantly strive to improve quality through corrective action programs, non-conforming materials procedures, quality reports and training. We believe in spending 10% of the time on the problem in order to dimensionalize it and the other 90% of the time on the solution. We believe that a true business relationship is built on trust and the continued effort to support a “win win” partnership.